We LOVE sweet potatoes around here. They are full of pectin and sterols that help lower cholesterol, beta carotene, potassium, Vitamin E, antioxidants and fiber. We roast them all the time, but sometimes it’s nice to dress them up a bit for holidays or special occasions. You’ll want to save this recipe for the holidays this year, for sure. This is a simple, DELICIOUS way to serve sweet potatoes as either a side dish, or dessert. They are great served cold the next day too!
4 medium-to-large sized sweet potatoes or yams
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons non-dairy, trans-fat free margarine (ex.: Earth Balance), softened
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash and scrub the yams or sweet potatoes and pierce them several times with a fork or small knife. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake sweet potatoes for 45-60 min. or until very tender. Leave on them on the sheet and set aside to cool.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, combine the margarine, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and pecans in a small bowl
- Once cool enough to handle, slice each potato in half, lengthwise. Then, use a knife to make criss-crossing diagonal slices, half-way through. Return them to the baking sheet.
- Spread a spoonful of the brown sugar mixture over the top of each sweet potato.
- Return to the oven for another 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are hot, the sugar is bubbly and the nuts are browned.
- Cool slightly and serve.